Cookies and this website

This website uses cookies to give you the best online experience. If you'd like to know more please read our cookie policy

Skip to content

Under Occupation Scheme

What is the Under Occupation Scheme?

The Under Occupation Scheme enables qualifying tenants to downsize to a smaller property with our help. Assisting under occupiers to move helps tenants to continue to live independently in a more manageable sized home, avoid the 'bedroom tax' and frees up family-sized accommodation for families on the waiting list.

Our dedicated Under Occupation Officer will guide you through the process from start to finish. They will visit you at home to explain the process, take your application and discuss your requirements and the kind of property you would like to move to. They will also help you to reach compromises if the type of property you are hoping for is not likely to become available.

Depending on funds available at the time, we may offer a cash incentive for you to move along with removal costs. Please contact us for more information.


How do I qualify for the scheme?

You need to:

  • Be on the housing register (our dedicated officer can help you apply). You will be given extra priority for downsizing
  • Be a tenant of Sutton Housing Partnership or one of our partner housing associations (check with your landlord)
  • Be the named tenancy holder
  • Have a clear rent account before moving; any cash incentive can be used towards outstanding arrears. If you have rent arrears but would like to apply please contact us to discuss your situation
  • Have no current or past anti-social behavioural orders
Where can I move to?

The properties we will consider you for will be within the London Borough of Sutton. Very occasionally we may have a property in another borough such as Croydon, Kingston, Merton or Reigate and Banstead.

If you would like to move to another London borough, you can register with Housing Moves

Tenants aged 60 and over who would like to move to rural or coastal locations can be considered for the Seaside and Country Homes scheme. If you are interested in this scheme please let the Under Occupation Officer know.


How do I apply?

Please contact the Under Occupation Officer on 0208 770 5000 or