Cookies and this website

This website uses cookies to give you the best online experience. If you'd like to know more please read our cookie policy

Skip to content

Financial Problems

If you are in financial crisis then there are ways we, or other agencies, may be able to help. Perhaps your benefits have been sanctioned, your rent has increased or debt repayments have left you with nothing left to buy essentials such as food, gas or electricity.

If you require information on what benefits you may be entitled to please use the benefit calculator at


Crisis Loans

Crisis loans & grants provide help to cover unexpected expenses in a crisis or emergency. Support that can be offered includes:


  • Food vouchers for a local supermarket

  • White goods and furniture (only beds, fridges, fridge freezers and cookers) from a provider of our choice

  • Charging of utility account keys

  • Providing a travel warrant or tickets


Applicants must receive one or more of the following:


  • Income Support

  • Income Based Jobseeker's Allowance

  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance

  • Pension Credit

  • Universal Credit

  • Housing Benefit

  • Council Tax Reduction


If an applicant is due to leave an institution or care home within 6 weeks and is likely to get one of the above benefits they would be eligible, providing they meet the remaining conditions.


Any prisoner that was resident in the London Borough of Sutton for at least 6 out of the last 12 months or 3 out of the last 5 years, before going into prison, will be eligible to apply.


For more information and to make an application please search ‘crisis loans’ at

Welfare Reform Outreach Team


London Borough of Sutton’s Welfare Reform Outreach Team are there to help residents who are in receipt of benefits (whether working or not) and struggling financially. They can help with:


  • Ensuring your benefit entitlements are correct

  • Applying for benefits and crisis loans

  • Budgeting and money management

  • Households struggling due to the benefit cap or bedroom tax

  • Applying for Discretionary Housing Payments


To refer yourself, please complete an online Referral Form


Discretionary Housing Payments and Hardship Fund


Discretionary Housing Payments (DHPs) and the Hardship Fund (HF) can provide help to our residents who need further financial assistance with housing costs or council tax payments.


Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP)

Anyone resident who requires assistance with housing costs and is currently claiming Housing Benefit or Universal Credit can apply for a DHP.

Examples of what DHPs cover:

  • Reductions in housing benefit or universal credit where a benefit cap has been applied, for under-occupancy in the social rent sector or as a result of LHA rent restrictions

  • Rent shortfall to prevent a household becoming homeless whilst the housing authority explores alternative options

  • Rent officer restrictions such as 'local reference rent' or shared room rate


Hardship Fund (HF)

Anyone resident who is currently claiming Council Tax Reduction can apply to the Council’s Hardship Fund. You can apply for assistance if you are finding it hard to pay the shortfall between your monthly Council Tax Reduction amount and your monthly Council Tax instalment.

For more information and to apply online please click here or search ‘DHP’ or ‘hardship fund’ at


Food Banks

If you find yourself in a situation where you are unable to put food on the table, Sutton Food Bank may be able to help. They will provide a parcel of food to last your family 3 days and can also help signpost you to relevant agencies who may be able to help witht he longer term issues which have led to the crisis. They may also be able to provide some nappies and other baby essentials.

To receive a parcel you must have a food bank voucher. To find out how to be referred please contact Sutton Food Bank on:

Tel: 07525 838 640


Online form: